Sunday, October 16, 2011

That Means A Lot


So the first night we spend at the villa, we all fall asleep watching "Momma Mia." Everything is pretty normal. Then I wake up in the early early morning, unable to move my head due to a searing pain in the left side of my neck, shooting up into my skull. I've never experienced this before, so I tried to fall back asleep, hoping it would go away. A few hours later, when it had only gotten worse, I was starting to get really scared. I whispered, "Melissa! Wake up I can't move my head!" Melissa, being a true best friend, whisper/yells across the room to Maggie, "Wake up, Marianne can't move her neck!" then proceeded to go back to sleep. Well, my neck only got worse as the day wore on, and I spent the majority of the day in bed, trying not to move. The next day, Rosella Vasta, one of the children of the owners of the Villa, Rhett, Melissa and I went to a physical therapist that Rosella had found through her friend. The lady was very young and spoke little English, so communicating with her was done mainly through Rosella, and using charades! She gave me about a 45 minute massage with lemon scented oil, which was just absolutely wonderful. Rosella made me wear her own scarf, and I found out how sweet and wonderful she is. She also happens to be a very recognized artist, and told us about some of her recent projects. This experience meant a lot to me. It showed me how people that you don't even know can be extremely caring, and make all the difference in the world. Rosella still asks about my neck whenever I see her, and everyone on the trip was very  helpful and caring, especially Megs, Melissa, Maggie and the teachers. Melissa and Maggie even helped me get dressed at one point. That's true bonding!

"If a man does not make new acquaintances as he advances through life, he will soon find himself alone. A man should keep his friendships in constant repair." -Samuel Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment