Sunday, October 16, 2011

A Hard Day's Night

Okay so i am very very behind with my blogging, which is no one's fault but my own. I'd like to partially blame it on how much fun I have been having and the fact that i am constantly seeing new art and wonderful things like that, but the truth is that I have just gotten behind. Rome was exhausting but wonderful. The city was very dirty and filled with cigarette smoke, but also filled with art around every corner and Iìm with wonderful people. The Bernini sculptures just blew my mind, and i'm pretty sure that all other art is ruined for me, except maybe Botticelli, who painted "The Birth of Venus" and "Primavera." Coincidentally, I got to see those paintings today. One thing that especially amazed me about seeing Bernini's works is that he intended for them to only be seen from the front, but the entire sculpture is shown the same level of intricate, perfectionist style of detail and care. These works make me ashamed of things that people create today. Definitely got lost on my way back to the hotel, nearly had a panic attack because there were literally hundreds and hundreds of tourists packing the streets and I was lost! Seeing different styles of churches nas been really neat, and seeing ancient tombs inside of the churches is even more interesting. Florence has been much more exhausting than Rome, but not because we have been busier. In fact, we have been able to rest much more, and there is not nearly the amount of walking that was required in Rome. Florence seems to be much more centralized. I think we are all realizing how tired we are simply because we finally got a chance to stop, so our bodies and minds were able to process and somewhat decompress.

"My candle burns at both ends [...]" -Henry David Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment